Midwest Family Mutual Insurance Company has provided customized insurance products through independent agents for over 130 years. Headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin and rated A (Excellent) by AM Best, Midwest Family serves policyholders in 24 Midwestern and Western states.
This article provides an overview of Midwest Family Mutual, including its history, leadership, financial strength, coverage options, independent agency focus, and customer service reputation.
A Brief History of Midwest Family Insurance
Midwest Family’s history dates back to 1891, when a group of Wisconsin dairy farmers formed Wisconsin Mutual Fire Insurance Company. Their goal was to provide affordable property insurance tailored for rural families.
The young company quickly expanded beyond Wisconsin into other Midwestern states. It adopted the name Midwest Family Mutual Insurance Company in 1945. Over the decades, Midwest Family diversified its offerings from farm insurance to cover both personal and commercial lines.
Major milestones in Midwest Family’s history include:
- 1891: Wisconsin dairy farmers found Wisconsin Mutual Fire Insurance Company
- 1945: Name changes to Midwest Family Mutual Insurance Company
- 1960s: Expansion into additional Midwest states
- 1970s: Introduction of auto insurance
- 1980s: Rollout of life insurance through Midwest Family Life Insurance Company
- 1990s: Introduction of commercial lines
- 2000s: Geographic expansion reaches 24 states
- 2015: Surpasses $1 billion in written premium
Today, Midwest Family provides all major lines of property/casualty, life, and health insurance for individuals and businesses. It actively writes policies in 24 Midwestern and Western states.
Midwest Family’s Executive Leadership
Midwest Family’s executive leadership team includes:
- Jeff Steffen, President and CEO
- Dan Hoffmann, Executive Vice President and COO
- Diane Thiel, Senior Vice President and CFO
- Dave Holman, Senior Vice President of Operations
- Scott Hobart, Vice President of Agribusiness and Commercial Lines
- Brian Hesse, Vice President of Personal Lines
- Mike Roof, Vice President of Claims
- Dr. Ben Bluml, Vice President and Medical Director
The company is governed by a board of directors that represents each geographic territory where Midwest Family operates. This ensures broad insight into the needs of local insurance markets.
Financial Strength and Stability
As an insurance carrier, Midwest Family’s financial strength is critical for fulfilling claims obligations to policyholders. Key indicators of the company’s stability include:
- A (Excellent) rating from AM Best – This top notch rating reflects Midwest Family’s balance sheet strength and consistent operating performance.
- Over $3.5 billion in assets – Midwest Family has ample capital and surplus to pay future claims.
- 95+ combined ratio – Underwriting income contributes to the company’s surplus growth.
- 130+ years in business – Midwest Family has demonstrated long-term staying power since 1891.
The company’s track record of financial strength gives both agents and insurance buyers confidence in its products.
Insurance Products Offered
Midwest Family provides a full suite of insurance across personal, commercial, farm, and specialty lines.
Personal insurance includes:
- Recreational vehicles
- Valuable items
- Identity theft
Business/farm insurance covers:
- Commercial vehicles
- Workers’ compensation
- Inland marine
- Surety bonds
Specialty offerings include:
- Classic/collectible vehicles
- High value homes
- Wind farms
Agents have access to proprietary Midwest Family policy forms that can be tailored for each customer’s needs.
The Independent Agency System
Midwest Family distributes its insurance products exclusively through independent agents. The company does not sell direct to consumers or appoint captive agents.
This independent agency strategy offers advantages such as:
- Local expertise – Independent agents know their communities and can match coverage to unique needs.
- Choice – Agents offer products from multiple insurers, not just Midwest Family.
- Tailored service – Policyholders work directly with their agent for personalized attention.
- Trusted relationships – Many agencies are multi-generational family businesses.
Midwest Family provides robust resources and support to help its agency force succeed. But agents operate independently to serve the best interests of their clients.
Customer Service Reputation
Midwest Family earns consistently high marks for customer service based on policyholder surveys. Contributing factors to its reputation include:
- Dedicated claims team – Midwest Family administers all claims in-house rather than outsourcing.
- Fast claims response – Agents and customers can report claims 24/7 by phone or online.
- Local adjusters – Claims are handled by adjusters located in the same communities as customers.
- Proactive communications – Midwest Family contacts customers rapidly with claim status updates.
- Fair claim settlements – Agents work closely with claims staff to ensure satisfied policyholders.
- Complaint resolution – Issues get addressed promptly to maintain customer trust.
- Financial strength – Midwest Family has the resources to pay claims in a timely manner.
The company’s combination of product value, financial stability, and outstanding service makes it a top choice for both agents and insurance buyers across the Midwest.
Key Takeaways About Midwest Family Insurance
- Founded in 1891, Midwest Family Insurance provides personal and commercial policies across 24 states.
- The company has an A (Excellent) rating from AM Best and over $3.5 billion in assets.
- Policies are sold exclusively through independent agents, not direct or captive channels.
- Customized proprietary programs are available for auto, home, business, farm, and specialty needs.
- Midwest Family earns high marks for claims service due to its in-house adjusters and local presence.
- The insurer supports its independent agents with training, technology, and other helpful resources.
With its strong financial ratings, broad coverage options, and reputation for outstanding service, Midwest Family Mutual stands as an excellent choice for insurance buyers who value independent advice and protection.
$9000 RENT ASSISTANCE, FREE SMART PHONE & INSURANCE Wait not FOR AMERICANS
Who owns Amfam insurance?
Who is the CEO of Midwest Family Mutual?