Metropolitan Direct Property and Casualty Insurance is part of the MetLife family of companies. It offers a range of insurance products to both individuals and businesses. This article will provide an in-depth look at Metropolitan Direct, the coverages they offer, customer reviews, financial strength, and how to get a quote.
Metropolitan Direct is based in Warwick, Rhode Island and has been operating since 1972. They are part of MetLife, one of the largest insurance providers in the U.S.
Some key facts about Metropolitan Direct:
- Specialize in auto, home, and other property insurance
- Rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best
- Provided over $1.4 billion in property benefits in 2021
- Over 1,100 employees
- Licensed to operate in 50 states and D.C.
Metropolitan Direct works with independent agents to offer their insurance products to consumers across the country. They market their insurance under the MetLife Auto & Home brand.
Insurance Products Offered
Metropolitan Direct underwrites and administers the following types of property and casualty insurance:
- Liability coverage in case you cause an accident
- Collision coverage for damage to your vehicle
- Comprehensive coverage for theft, vandalism, weather, fire and more
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage
- Medical payments coverage
- Roadside assistance
- Coverage for damage to dwelling, other structures, and personal belongings
- Liability protection if someone is injured on your property
- Loss of use coverage if home is uninhabitable
- Backup of sewers and drains
- Identity fraud expense coverage
- Covers personal property and improvements/betterments
- Loss assessment coverage
- Liability protection
- Covers theft or damage to personal belongings
- Liability coverage
- Loss of use if rental is uninhabitable
- Identity fraud expense protection
In addition to these main property lines, Metropolitan Direct offers umbrella insurance, flood insurance, and identity theft protection services.
Metropolitan Direct and the MetLife Auto & Home brand generally have positive customer feedback based on online reviews:
- Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars on Trustpilot based on over 5,500 reviews
- Scored 85 on J.D. Power’s auto insurance customer satisfaction survey
- Received mostly positive feedback on coverage, claims handling, and customer service
- Some complaints about policy premium increases at renewal time
- Overall regarded as a reputable insurer with good financial backing from MetLife
As part of MetLife, Metropolitan Direct has strong financial backing and claims-paying ability.
- Rated A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best
- Over $732 billion in total MetLife assets
- Paid out over $42 billion in claims and benefits in 2021
- MetLife net income of $6.55 billion in 2021
This level of financial strength indicates Metropolitan Direct has the resources to pay out policyholder claims while maintaining solvency. Customers can rest assured the company will be there if they ever need to file a property insurance claim.
How To Get A Quote
Since Metropolitan Direct works through independent insurance agents, you’ll need to connect with a local provider to get a quote. You can typically get a quote in the following ways:
- Call your current insurance agent to see if they are appointed with Metropolitan Direct. Many agents work with multiple insurance carriers.
- Search online marketplaces like Policygenius or SelectQuote to compare quotes.
- Visit the MetLife Auto & Home website and enter your zip code to find local agents.
- Reach out to agents directly if you find their contact information through referrals or online searches.
The agent will walk you through Metropolitan Direct’s pricing, discounts, coverage options, and more. This allows you to make an informed decision on whether Metropolitan Direct provides a competitively priced policy that meets your needs.
The Claims Process
If you have a Metropolitan Direct policy and suffer a covered loss, here is an overview of the claims process:
- Report the claim immediately by calling Metropolitan Direct or contacting your agent.
- Provide details about what happened and your policy information.
- A claims adjuster will be assigned to investigate your claim. They may request photos or documentation.
- The adjuster will determine if the damages or loss are covered under your specific policy.
- For approved claims, you’ll receive a check for covered repairs, replacement costs, medical bills, or other benefits.
- Metropolitan Direct aims to resolve claims quickly and fairly based on the policy terms.
Is Metropolitan Direct Right For You?
Metropolitan Direct is worth considering if you want property insurance from a financially stable carrier backed by the MetLife name. They provide the core coverages for auto, homeowners, condos, and renters policies. Metropolitan Direct may be a suitable option if you value:
- Strong financial rating
- Positive customer service reputation
- Broad coverage for standard property risks
- Coverage across the U.S.
- Bundling discounts if you insure both home and auto
Just keep in mind that premiums may increase at renewal time, so shop around to ensure Metropolitan Direct remains competitively priced. Getting quotes from multiple insurers ensures you find the right mix of premium, coverage and service.
The Bottom Line
Metropolitan Direct Property and Casualty Insurance delivers stable property insurance backed by MetLife’s financial strength. Consumers can expect quality customer service and claims handling from Metropolitan Direct and the MetLife Auto & Home brand based on reviews and ratings. Use an independent agent to get a Metropolitan Direct quote if you want to compare their pricing and insurance product offerings.
Met Auto|MetLife Auto & Home|Auto & Home
Is Metropolitan Casualty the same as MetLife?
Is Metropolitan life insurance the same as MetLife?
What happened to Metropolitan Life Insurance Company?
Who is the largest property and casualty insurer?