State National Insurance Company is a property and casualty insurance provider based in Bedford, Texas. The company offers a range of insurance products including commercial auto, homeowners, commercial property, and excess liability insurance.
When considering any insurance provider, it’s important to research impartial third-party reviews to gain a complete perspective on the company. Here we’ll examine State National Insurance Company reviews, ratings, complaints data, and more to evaluate their overall reputation and customer satisfaction.
Overview of State National Insurance Company
State National Insurance Company was founded in 1973 and has grown into a large property and casualty insurance company serving all 50 states. Some quick facts about State National:
- Offers insurance for personal, commercial, specialty, and program niche markets
- Employs over 1,100 people
- Insures over 1 million policyholders
- Has an A (Excellent) Financial Strength Rating from A.M. Best
- Provides insurance products through a network of independent agents
State National places an emphasis on flexibility and customization within their insurance programs. By partnering with independent agents who know local markets, the company aims to tailor coverage and services to unique customer needs.
The company provides policies for both individuals and businesses. Let’s look at how their products, pricing, and customer service stack up according to third-party reviewer feedback.
State National Insurance Reviews from Trusted Research Firms
Independent third-party reviews provide an unbiased look at an insurance company’s strengths and weaknesses. Here are assessments of State National Insurance from respected insurance industry research firms:
- Financial Strength Rating: A (Excellent)
- Long-Term Issuer Credit Rating: “a”
- Review Summary: Positive outlook reflecting State National’s strong risk-adjusted capitalization, operating performance, and market profile. Effective underwriting and operating efficiency cited as strengths.
As an A-rated insurer by A.M. Best, State National exhibits very strong financial footing to pay out future claims. The “Excellent” rating ranks among the top tiers for property/casualty insurers.
- Auto Claims Satisfaction Rating: 2 out of 5 (Below Average)
- Home Claims Satisfaction Rating: Not Rated
- Review Summary: Mixed claims servicing results. Effectiveness of policy explanations and ease of finalizing claims praised, but poor marks for estimation process and length of time to close claims.
J.D. Power’s below average auto claims rating indicates State National Insurance customers report lower than typical satisfaction in the claims handling process compared to competitors.
- Overall Rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars
- Review Summary: Positive feedback for helpful agents and fast claim payments. Some concerns noted about rate increases after filing a claim. Most say customer service reps are responsive.
The largely positive public reviews on ConsumerAffairs showcase State National’s strong reputation for claims servicing and agent relationships. But cost increases after claims remain a pain point.
State National Insurance Ratings on Consumer Review Sites
In addition to expert insurance industry ratings, it’s helpful to see direct policyholder evaluations on mainstream consumer sites. Here’s how State National Insurance fares:
Better Business Bureau
- Rating: A+
- Total Complaints Lodged (past 3 years): 9
- Review Summary: Minimal complaints relative to the company’s size. Majority of complaints revolved around claim denial disputes. State National responded to most complaints in a timely manner.
The exceptionally low complaint volume given State National’s 1+ million policyholders confirms most customers have positive experiences, with only an isolated few issues reaching the BBB.
- Rating: 4.1 out of 5 stars
- Number of Reviews: 30+
- Review Summary: Positive feedback on helpful agents and smooth customer service. Negative reviews focus on claim denials and delays. Some site lack of communication.
First-hand reviews on Google echo State National’s reputation for good service through agents, but reveal frustrations around claims handling and communications gaps.
- Rating: 2.8 out of 5 stars
- Number of Reviews: 15+
- Review Summary: More negative than positive reviews. Complaints about extremely high rates, policy cancellations after filing claims, and denial of legitimate claims. Poor communication also cited.
The disproportionately negative Trustpilot ratings suggest State National Insurance has work to do in improving customer perceptions around claims, rates, and communication.
Common Positives in State National Insurance Reviews
Digging deeper into customer feedback reveals more about State National’s strengths:
Helpful Local Agents – Many reviews cite friendly, knowledgeable agents who provide personalized service and advice. The local agent model earns praise.
Smooth Onboarding – Most customers report a straightforward process to get quotes and set up a policy with State National. Limited paperwork and hassle.
Fast Claim Payouts – Those with claims under $5,000 or $10,000 note prompt payment from State National upon claim submission with minimal delays.
Responsive Service – Customers describe the company’s customer service line and agents as readily available to answer questions or handle requests.
Positive feedback highlights State National’s localized, independent agent approach as a key factor behind happy customers. Quick claims processing also rates well when settlements are uncomplicated.
Common Complaints in State National Insurance Reviews
On the other hand, these negatives stand out among reviews:
Claim Denials – Numerous reviews cite denied claims for issues customers felt should have been covered under their policy.
Rate Increases After Claims – Some customers report large hikes in premiums after filing just a single small claim.
Lack of Communication – Customers describe difficulty getting status updates on claims or reaching adjusters to discuss issues.
Navigating Bureaucracy – Challenges providing documentation and jumping through hoops during claims. Perceived resistance to pay.
Coverage Gaps – Surprise to some customers that certain losses weren’t included under their policies.
While State National earns praise for onboarding and local agents, actual claims servicing emerges as the central pain point. Communication and perceived resistance around paying claims generates significant frustration.
Is State National a Good Insurer?
State National Insurance Company’s strengths lie in helpful independent agents, ease of setup, and fast payment of straightforward claims under $10,000. But claims communication, denials, bureaucratic hassles, and coverage gaps need improvement based on customer feedback.
They maintain excellent financial strength but score below competitors for auto claims satisfaction. Overall, State National earns mixed reviews depending on the complexity of one’s insurance needs. For simple policies and claims under $10,000, State National delivers a smooth customer experience.
However, homeowners concerned about receiving prompt, hassle-free payment on more complex claims may find better service through higher-rated insurers known for claims excellence. Reviewing third-party ratings and reviews assists in determining if State National or a different insurer best fits your situation.
5 Steps for a Positive State National Insurance Experience
Policyholders who understand State National’s strengths and limitations can optimize their customer experience:
1. Work with an established local agent who can guide you through the intricacies of the company and advocate on your behalf.
2. Choose coverage limits wisely – Higher limits mean a more cumbersome claims process. Lower limits expedite simpler claims.
3. Document everything thoroughly in the event you need to appeal a denied claim. Having photos, invoices, police reports, etc. is key.
4. Be proactive communicating with your agent about emerging claims to avoid surprises and keep everyone in the loop.
5. Review your policy language closely so you understand exactly what is and isn’t covered to avoid disappointments.
While State National garners mixed reviews from policyholders, being an educated customer can help ensure you have a positive experience with the insurer.
Is State National Recommended?
State National Insurance Company maintains excellent financial strength but earns mixed customer satisfaction ratings depending on claim complexity. For simple policies and losses under $10,000, State National often exceeds expectations through helpful agents and fast claims payment.
However, policyholders with higher coverage limits or more intricate claims may encounter frustrating denials, delays, and bureaucracy. Reviewing your specific insurance priorities and risk tolerance is advised before choosing State National or any insurer.
For homeowners with complex property and liability risks, partnering with a highly-rated insurer specifically known for claims excellence may provide greater peace of mind. But State National satisfies many customers with simpler insurance needs through personalized local agent service.
Top Alternatives to State National Insurance
Drivers and homeowners seeking top-tier claims servicing may want to also consider these highly-rated insurers:
Amica: Consistently earns exceptional claims satisfaction scores and positive customer feedback.
Auto-Owners: Renowned for ease of claims processing and attentive adjusters. Highest financial strength (A++ from A.M. Best).
USAA: Top ratings for seamless technology and military member benefits. Restricted membership eligibility.
National General Insurance Review: Examining the Pros and Cons
Who bought State National Life Insurance Company?
What are the top 5 insurance rating agencies?
Where is state national insurance company headquarters?