TruStage insurance offers an accessible auto insurance solution for credit union members who want to handle their banking and insurance needs in one place. But is TruStage auto insurance really a good choice compared to other carriers?
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll take an in-depth look at TruStage car insurance to help you decide if it’s the right fit for your needs and budget. We’ll cover pros and cons, average costs, available discounts, customer service reputation and more.
Overview of TruStage Auto Insurance
TruStage auto insurance is offered primarily through its partnership with Liberty Mutual, an insurance company that operates nationwide. However, other affiliate companies may underwrite policies in some cases.
Liberty Mutual offers standard car insurance coverage types like liability, collision, comprehensive and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
The availability of certain add-on coverage options makes Liberty Mutual’s auto insurance unique from other car insurance carriers. Where available, this may include:
- Better Car Replacement – For older vehicles totaled in an accident, this coverage could provide a 1-year newer replacement with 15,000 fewer miles.
- Lifetime Repair Guarantee – If you own your vehicle and are in an accident, Liberty Mutual can help with repairs at one of their Guaranteed Repair Network facilities.
Pros and Cons of TruStage Car Insurance
Here’s a quick rundown of the key pros and cons of TruStage auto insurance:
- Repair network guarantees repairs of vehicles owned outright
- Many add-on endorsement options for customizing your policy
- Savings available for credit union members
- Not underwritten by TruStage; offered primarily through Liberty Mutual
- Liberty Mutual ranked below average in J.D. Power auto insurance studies
- Below average auto claims satisfaction scores
Is TruStage Auto Insurance Expensive?
Average rates for TruStage and Liberty Mutual car insurance are not publicly available. However, it’s helpful to know the national average cost of car insurance for benchmarking:
- Full coverage auto insurance: $2,014 per year
- Minimum coverage auto insurance: $622 per year
Your quoted TruStage premium will vary based on factors like your location, vehicle type, mileage and more. To get a specific quote, enter your zip code online or call 1-855-483-2149.
Discounts to Lower Your TruStage Premium
Discounts are a great way to lower your car insurance costs. TruStage auto insurance discounts that may be available include:
- Credit union member discount – Additional savings for being a credit union member.
- Claims-free discount – For safe drivers with a clean driving record.
- Multi-car discount – Insuring multiple vehicles on the same policy.
Is TruStage Good for Claims Service?
How an insurer handles claims is an important factor in customer satisfaction. Here’s how Liberty Mutual, TruStage’s primary underwriting partner, ranks:
- Scored below average in 10 of 11 regions in J.D. Power’s 2023 Auto Insurance Satisfaction study.
- Ranked below average in J.D. Power’s 2023 Auto Claims Satisfaction study.
- Had a high NAIC Complaint Index score in 2022, indicating a higher-than-expected complaint volume.
This data suggests TruStage auto policyholders may not have the best claims satisfaction compared to other top insurers.
Is TruStage Reliable for Paying Claims?
While customer service scores are subpar, Liberty Mutual (the underwriter for most TruStage policies) has strong financial strength ratings from AM Best:
- Liberty Mutual: A (Excellent) rating
- Industry average: A+ to A++ ratings
So while the claims process may not be seamless, Liberty Mutual has proven ability to pay out claims owed to policyholders.
Who is TruStage Auto Insurance Good For?
TruStage car insurance could be a good fit if:
- You’re a credit union member interested in bundling auto insurance with your other accounts.
- You want access to Liberty Mutual’s add-on coverages and repair shop network.
- You prioritize lower rates over customer service.
It may not be the best choice if top-notch claims service is your top priority.
Alternatives to TruStage Worth Considering
Here are a couple of other top auto insurers that frequently rank well for customer satisfaction:
- State Farm – Consistently highly rated for auto insurance claims handling and customer service. Wide availability of local agents provides a personal touch.
- Allstate – National insurer with strong financial backing. Offers many options to customize your auto policy.
- USAA – Only for military members but has stellar customer service ratings and affordable rates.
Comparing quotes from multiple providers is the best way to find the right balance of coverage, cost and service.
TruStage Auto Insurance: Final Take
The convenience of bundling TruStage car insurance with your credit union membership may appeal to some drivers. Just keep in mind that customer service ratings are below average, so you may not have the smoothest experience when filing a claim.
Focus on finding discounts to reduce your premium. And consider contacting providers like State Farm and Allstate as well to make sure you get the right mix of rate, coverage and service for your individual needs.
🔥 TruStage Auto Insurance Review: Pros and Cons of Their Coverage
Is TruStage insurance reliable?
Is TruStage the same as Liberty Mutual?
What type of insurance is TruStage?
What insurance company is most reliable?