Buffalo, New York is home to over 250,000 residents. As the second largest city in the state, Buffalo has a thriving local economy anchored by education, healthcare, advanced manufacturing, tourism, and financial services.
With so many businesses and homeowners in the area, having the right insurance coverage is crucial. This article will provide an overview of the different types of insurance Buffalo residents and businesses need, along with tips for finding the best local insurance agency to partner with.
Types of Insurance Needed in Buffalo
Here are some of the main insurance policies Buffalo residents and business owners need:
- New York is a “no-fault” insurance state, meaning both drivers’ insurance companies pay for injuries and vehicle damage regardless of who caused the accident.
- Drivers are required to carry liability insurance with minimum limits of $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident for bodily injury and $10,000 for property damage.
- Collision and comprehensive coverage are not required but recommended to fully protect your vehicle.
- Factors that affect rates include your driving record, vehicle, age, credit score, and more. Shopping around can save you hundreds per year.
Homeowners or Renters Insurance
- Homeowners insurance covers your dwelling, other structures like garages, and personal belongings against perils like fire, lightning, theft, and windstorms.
- It also provides liability protection if someone is injured on your property.
- Renters insurance provides similar coverage for your belongings and liability in a rental unit.
- Make sure you purchase enough coverage to completely rebuild your home and replace all possessions.
- Common policies like business owners policies (BOPs), commercial property, general liability, professional liability, workers’ compensation, cyber insurance, and more.
- Your risks and insurance needs depend on your industry, number of employees, company property, and if you engage with the public.
- Work with an agent to determine the right mix of coverage at adequate limits.
- Provides income replacement and funeral expenses for your beneficiaries when you pass away.
- Term life offers temporary coverage at low cost, while permanent policies last your whole life.
- Your ideal coverage amount depends on income, debts, children’s education costs, and other financial obligations.
- Major medical insurance helps pay for healthcare costs like doctor visits, hospitalization, prescriptions, and more.
- Medicare and Medicaid provide coverage for elderly and low-income residents.
- Disability insurance replaces lost income if you become too injured or sick to work.
- Dental, vision, and supplemental policies pay for care not covered by major medical.
How to Choose the Best Insurance Agency
With an overview of the major insurance policies Buffalo residents and businesses require, here are some tips for selecting the right local insurance agency:
Look for experience and specialization
- Find an agency that has operated in Buffalo for many years and specializes in the types of insurance you need. This experience gives them in-depth knowledge of local risks and regulations.
Consider independent vs captive agents
- Independent agents offer policies from many insurers and can provide unbiased recommendations. Captive agents just sell products from one carrier.
Seek out trusted recommendations
- Ask homeowners, professionals, and businesses in your network who they use and would recommend. This can steer you towards reputable agencies.
Evaluate customer service and responsiveness
- Do they make the process easy by guiding you through options? Are they quick to respond to inquiries? Good service is invaluable.
Look for financial stability
- Make sure the agency partners with insurers that are financially secure and rated highly by firms like A.M. Best. This ensures they can pay out claims.
Compare multiple quotes
- Reputable agencies will provide quotes from several insurers so you can compare pricing and coverage. Avoid agencies that push you into a single solution.
Consider discounts and bundling opportunities
- Ask about discounts like safe driver, home security, multi-policy, and claims-free discounts to lower your costs. Bundling multiple policies together can also save money.
Review licensing and credentials
- Verify the agency and agents have active licenses through the New York Department of Financial Services. Designations like CIC and CPCU show advanced expertise.
Top Insurance Agencies in Buffalo, NY
Now that you know what to look for, here is an overview of some of the top, highly rated insurance agencies in the Buffalo area:
- Provides auto, home, life, business, and specialty insurance products from top-rated companies.
- Over 50 years of experience serving Buffalo residents and businesses.
- Access to exclusive Nationwide insurance products and discounts.
- Customer service focused on simplifying insurance and saving clients money.
Body Mechanics Insurance Agency
- Specializes in auto insurance for high-risk drivers including teens, DUI offenders, no prior insurance, and accident history.
- Partners with companies like Progressive, National General, and The General to provide affordable rates.
- Discounts for good students, safety features, multi-car, paperless, and bundled policies.
- Spanish language services available.
Aldrich & Cox Insurance
- Offers customized packages for auto, homeowners, business, life, disability, and long-term care insurance.
- An independent agency with access to over 20 top insurance carriers.
- Additional services like license bond filing, notary public, and license plate transfers.
- Strong local reputation with affordable pricing.
Evans Agency Inc.
- Provides auto, home, business, and life insurance policies from national and regional carriers.
- Specializes in coverage for contractors, restaurants, shops, offices, and wholesalers.
- Packages include workers’ comp, commercial auto, general liability, property, inland marine, and umbrella insurance.
- Has served local businesses since 1966.
Lasker Insurance Agency
- Focuses on personal insurance products like auto, homeowners, renters, excess liability, and umbrella policies.
- Represents major national insurers and local companies like Erie Insurance.
- Provides quotes through a network of over 20 insurance carriers.
- Family owned agency that has operated locally for over 35 years.
Lawley USI Insurance Services
- Serves individuals, families and businesses with all types of property/casualty and life/health insurance.
- Customized plans from top national and regional insurance companies.
- Specializes in coverage for construction, manufacturing, nonprofit, and technology firms.
- Certified risk management advisors on staff to evaluate exposures.
McDonald Jacobs Insurance
- One of the largest independent agencies in Western New York.
- Trusted choice for auto, home, life, business, and specialty insurance products.
- Provides quotes through over 15 national, regional and local carriers.
- Highly experienced agents and advanced digital capabilities.
Huntress Insurance Agency
- Offers personalized packages for home, auto, business, farm, life, health, disability and long-term care insurance.
- Access to exclusive products only available through independent agencies.
- Local family owned agency backed by the expertise of USI Insurance Services.
- Provides global property & casualty solutions for local firms expanding abroad.
Lawley Select Insurance
- Division of Lawley focused on high net worth individuals and families.
- Specializes in coverage for luxury homes, vehicles, valuables, excess liability, yachts, and umbrella policies.
- Access to exclusive carriers and tailored packages from Chubb, PURE, Nationwide Private Client, and others.
- Concierge claims service providing enhanced support.
Tips for Working with Buffalo Insurance Agencies
Finding the right insurance agency is the first step. Here are some tips for building a strong relationship and getting the most value from your insurer:
Provide complete details about your risk exposures so they can make informed recommendations.
Ask questions and make sure you thoroughly understand your coverage.
Bundle multiple policies with one agency to simplify billing and maximize discounts.
Review limits and coverage annually and when life changes to ensure proper protection.
Make any claims through your agent – they can expedite resolution.
Follow their loss control advice to implement risk improvements that lower premiums.
Consolidate all insurance with one trusted agency so they can coordinate coverage.
Build an ongoing relationship and use your agent as an informational resource.
Finding the Perfect Fit
As a Buffalo homeowner, driver or business owner, having proper insurance coverage provides essential protection you can’t afford to be without. While buying insurance can seem intimidating at first, finding the right, local insurance agency makes the process smooth and simple. Use this guide to look for an ideal agency matching your specialized needs and budget. With an experienced agent by your side, you gain a trusted advisor who can keep your assets protected for years to come.
How to buy auto insurance in Buffalo, NY Larsen Insurance Agency
What ranking is Erie insurance?
Who is biggest insurance broker?
Does Erie insurance write in New York?